Built as rental property by lawyer Jefferson Franklin Jackson in 1860, homes of this type proliferated as Montgomery grew and prospered in its exhilarating role as state capital.
The Bush Cottage is a “half-house” composed of a side hall with two adjoining rooms opening off it and a small room and porch behind. Although designed for tenants, the house reflects the period’s love of adornment with square columns and fanciful balustrade. Originally at the corner of North Union and East Jefferson Streets, it had a companion house, also built by Jackson, located behind it on Union Street with similar detailing and styling. Named for its last occupant, Mrs. Fannie Bush, the cottage made its 1982 Old Alabama Town entry after a rather exciting four block trip down the busy Madison Avenue. During the ride, a bathroom addition fell off in the midst of noonday traffic! The handsome cottage is leased as commercial property.