This outbuilding along with the main house located adjacent were built by Y. W. Graves in the Burkeville area of Lowndes County but was sold soon afterward in 1846 to Josiah Haigler. This building was first used as the business office for the owner or manager of the Haigler Plantation. A variety of outbuildings were essential to the operations of a 19th century plantation. When the original kitchen for the house burned, the Haigler family pulled up this structure and attached it to the rear of the house where it then served as the kitchen for many years. Descendants of the Haigler family donated building to Landmarks Foundation in 1993.
When the house was moved to Old Alabama Town, the Plantation Office was once again separated from the main house. Restoration architect Nicholas Holmes designed the present pedimented and columned portico, creating a handsome, historically correct façade. A paint analysis of the interior determined the interesting blue color of the horizontal wall planks.