The Molton Outbuildings, vernacular-styled saddle-bag structures, originally stood behind the Molton House at the southeast corner of Adams Avenue and Union Street. The main house was built in 1858 by Jefferson Franklin Jackson. At that time, these saddlebag outbuildings most likely served as a kitchen and slave quarters. In 1881, the Association for Aiding Working Women and the Helpless, comprised of many socially conscious prominent Montgomery women, purchased the complex realizing that there were many areas of need, especially the difficult circumstances many single women faced. These structures, along with other cottages eventually built with donated funds from local families, provided shelter for widows, working women, and orphans. If physically able, the women were required to work. Many women were partially self-supporting but were not able to fully provide for all their needs. This outbuilding houses a Dressmaker’s Shop and Millinery Shop, both notable occupations for unmarried women of the 19th century. These women tended to be middle-aged American born women. Most had been widowed, divorced, abandoned or never married, and had to earn a living because they had no support from a male wage earner.
The Molton Outbuildings, vernacular-styled saddle-bag structures, originally stood behind the Molton House at the southeast corner of Adams Avenue and Union Street. As saddle-bags, each structure had two front doors and a common chimney. They probably served as a kitchen and housing for servants. The exteriors have slightly different porch and step configurations both of which were typical in 19th century Alabama. These structures were relocated to Old Alabama Town and restored in 1993. The main Molton House can be seen today on the west side of Kiwanis Park.
This outbuilding is used for exhibits and gatherings.